UA Local Union No. 21 - Apprenticeship
Applications will be available starting Monday 12/03/18 thru Friday 12/14/18 at the Plumbers and Steamfitters Local Union #21 Training Center, 1024 McKinley Street, Peekskill, NY. All applications must be picked-up in person between the hours of 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. during the application period. The Department of Labor dictates when this application process will be made available and we will post it to our website at that time.
The Education and Apprenticeship Committee requires that all applicants:
- Be at least 18 years old (Proof must be submitted at the time of selection).
- Have a high school or general equivalency diploma (Proof must be submitted at the time of selection).
- Have reliable transportation to work sites and instruction classes.
- You must have residence in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, or Ulster County.
- You must pay a $10 non-refundable application fee (check or money-order). This fee may be waived for anyone who can verify that this would create an economic hardship.
The apprenticeship consists of a five-year program registered with the New York State Department of Labor. The apprenticeship includes a minimum of 246 hours annually of related classroom instruction, in addition to the minimum of 8,500 hours of on the job training provided by the employing contractor over the five-year apprenticeship.
Our Building Trades Apprentices (Plumbers and Steamfitters) go to school for 7 consecutive weeks, 8am-3:30pm Monday-Friday per year. Our HVACR Service Apprentices normally work a full day and attend related training classes two nights per week for 9 months at the training center.
The related training subjects include science, math, drawing interpretation and plan reading, building codes, and applicable shop labs. The apprentices earn 45 college credits, for the five-year program, that can be applied toward an Associates Degree in Construction Supervision. Apprentices will ultimately specialize in one of the following career paths:
- Mechanical Equipment Service (HVAC)
In addition to the technical instruction apprentices receive training in several areas including:
- OSHA Safety Courses
- Customer Relations
- Sexual Harassment Awareness
The Plumbers, Steamfitters and HVACR Service Technicians Local 21 Joint Apprenticeship Committee conducts periodic recruitment on an Annual basis or based on additional manpower needs.